Mogadishu, Somalia (HOL) – Prime Minister Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed unveiled his new cabinet consisting of 18 ministers — a drastic reduction of his predecessor’s 39 bloated ministerial posts.
“The Somali people and the international community were waiting for a competent and credible Somali cabinet, and I am happy to appoint this lean but capable cabinet. I call on my fellow countrymen to work with and assist this fine men and women tasked to revive the Somali State.” Prime Minister Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed said in a statement.
Only two ministers from the previous government are included in the new ministerial line-up. Minister of Finance, Hussein Abdi Halane, an effective administrator who is well-regarded by the international community retains the enlarged Ministry of Finance which now will be called Ministry of Finance and Treasury. Dr. Mohamud Abdi Ibrahim is moved to the Ministry of Commence and Industry.
Deputy Prime Minister-ship posts are given to three competent newcomers. Hon. Mohamed Abdullahi Omaar, an Oxford educated and highly regarded politician from northern Somalia (Somaliland) will be Deputy Prime Minister and foreign minister.
Abdihakim Mohamoud Haji-Faqi, a former Somali diplomat in Canada in NY is appointed to the defense post in addition to deputy prime minister-ship, originally he is from Bay region.
Dr. Abdiweli Mohamed Ali, a professor of economy at Niagara University, NY, is the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Planning and International Cooperation, he hails from Puntland region of Somalia.
Ministry of Justice, Religious Affairs and Endowment will be led by Abdullahi Abyan Nur.
Ahlu Sunna Wajamee’a (ASWF) religious group which is allied with the TFG is allotted to two important ministries, Interior and National Security and the ministry of Labour, Social and Workforce Development.
Minister of Interior and National Security is tapped for Abdishakur Sheikh Hassan Farah.
The Ministry of Women’s Development and Family Welfare will be led by Dr. Maryan Qasim Ahmed, a veteran medical doctor and social justice activist who in addition to Somali speak Arabic, English, Italian and Dutch.
Among the other new faces are Dr. Abdinur Sheikh Mohamed, Ph. D, Minister of Education, Higher Education and Culture. Dr. Abdunur specialises in education administration and is currently an adjunct professor at Ohio University and is a long time employee of State of Ohio, Department of Education.
Prof. Abdulkareem Hassan Jama who taught Information Technology is assigned to the Ministry of Information, Post and Telecommunication. Mr. Jama served in the past two years as the Chief of Staff and Senior Advisor to the President.
Ministry of Ports, Marine, Air and Land Transport is given to Ahmed Abdirahman Abade.
The communications director at the Presidency, Abdirashid Hashi, is entrusted with the Ministry of Public Works and Reconstruction. Mr. Hashi studied politics and history at the University of Toronto and he served previously as secretary to the council of ministers.
Abdirisak Sheikh Muhyadin will lead the Ministry of Mineral Resources, Water, Energy and Petroleum.
Ministry of Constitution and Federalism will be led by Mohamud Mohamed Boonow.
Dr. Aden Haji Ibrahim Daud, medical doctor and Member of Parliament will lead the Ministry of Health and Human Services. Yusuf Moallim Amin will be the Minister of Agriculture and Livestock. Abdinur Moallim Mohamud takes over the ministry of Youth, Sports, Labour Social and Workforce Development.
The new Minister of Fisheries, Marine Resources and Environment is Dr. Mohamed Moallim Hassan Mohamed
Prime Minister Mohamed’s new cabinet consists of veteran politicians with a lot of experience and talented new faces who have been positively involved, one way or another, in Somali development and politics in the recent past. This blend will definitely energize the TFG.
President Sharif Sheikh Ahmed commenting on Prime Minister Mohammed Abdullahi Mohamed’s line up said, “Somalia is in a good hands and I call on the MPs to speedily and swiftly accord the new cabinet with their confidence, we do not have time to waste and our people deserve nothing less than this.”
Here is the list of Ministries
1. Deputy PM & Foreign Minister, Abdullahi Mohamed Omaar
2. Deputy PM & Minister of Planning and International Cooperation Dr. Abdiweli Ali
3. Deputy PM & Minister of Defence, Abdihakim Mohamoud Haji-Faqi
4. Minister of Finance and Treasury, Hussein Abdi HalaneMinister
5. Minister of Interior and National Security , Abdishakur Sheikh Hassan Farah.
6. Ministry of Information, Post and Telecommunication, Prof. Abdulkareem Hassan Jama
7. Minister of Education, Higher Education and Culture, Dr. Abdinur Sheikh Mohamed
8. Ministry of Ports, Marine, Air and Land Transport, Ahmed Abdirahman Abade.
9. Ministry of Commence, Dr. Mohamud Abdi Ibrahim
10. Ministry of Public Works and Reconstruction, Abdirashid Hashi
11. Ministry of Justice, Religious Affairs and Endowment ,Abdullahi Abyan Nur.
12. Ministry of Women’s Development and Family Welfare, Dr. Maryan Qasim
13. Ministry of Mineral Resources, Abdirisak Sheikh Muhyadin
14. Ministry of Health and Human Services, Dr. Aden Haji Ibrahim Daud
15. Minister of Agriculture and Livestock, Yusuf Moallim Amin
16. ministry of Youth and Sports, Abdinur Moallim Mohamud
17. Minister of Fisheries, Marine Resources, Dr. Mohamed Moallim Hassan Mohamed
18. Ministry of Constitution and Federalism, Mohamud Mohamed Boonow.